Fix Me A Snack

A blog created by a mom who got sick of feeding her kids crackers and ice cream

These beet chips are yet another example of a supremely healthy snack that I probably never would have prepared if it hadn’t been for this blog. And my preschooler, who loves beets to begin with, said, “These are better than chocolate chips mama!” I kid you not.

She calls these “Swirl Chips”.

2 or 3 medium beets
Salt (optional)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.

Wash the beets throughly. Cut off both ends and peel. Keep a towel on hand or do your peeling under running water in order to keep the juices under control.

Slice the beets very thinly (about 1 millimeter) with a mandolin. (The mandolin is actually necessary. Uniform thickness in the chips is required in order for them to bake evenly.)

Lay the sliced beets out onto parchment-lined baking sheets. They can be placed close together as they will shrink during baking. Sprinkle with salt, if desired.

Bake for 20-30 minutes keeping a close eye on them after 20 minutes as they burn easily. The beets will still be pliable when done and will crisp up as they cool. Serve. Store any leftovers in an airtight container. Depending on how dried out the chips are, they are probably good for at least few days.

I’m thinking these might be tasty served with Herbed Yogurt Dip.

Note: Beets that were at least three inches wide have less of a tendency to shrivel up during baking.

Yield: several handfuls of chips
Prep-time: 5 minutes
Bake-time: 20 minutes (per batch – one beet fills approximately two baking sheets)

Print Print

Related posts:

1. Homemade Bagel Chips
  2. Sweet Potato Chips
  3. Kale Chips

20 Comments

1. I’m not a big beet fan, but I do love beet chips (at least the ones from Terra). Definitely will have to give this a try!

2. DebZ
    3:27 pm on March 9th, 2010

LOVE this idea. I’m going to make them for myself this week. Thanks! (and, i think you get “mom of the year” for a kid saying they’re better than chocolate chip)

3. Hello,

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it – great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

enjoy your recipes.

and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on “Add your site”

Best regards,

Vincent
    petitchef.com

4. What a fabulous idea – beautiful too! I will be trying these very soon as we’re trying to cut back greatly, and while I love chocolate cake, gotta make some changes.

5. DebZ
    10:30 pm on March 9th, 2010

You made Tastespotting!!!

6. These look fantastic! We’ll be trying these too. Gorgeous, and I’m sure tasty. Yum!

7. @Deb I didn’t know you peeked at Tastespotting! Yeah, I’m up there occasionally. Submission and criteria are pretty easy. And the traffic is lovely.

8. I love these so beautiful…

sweetlife

9. Max
    6:25 pm on March 10th, 2010

These looks really good. I have to say I’m not a big beet fan but I definitely want to try this. Thanks for the inspiration!

10. yesterday I made these and it is just DELICIOUS!!!!!! Thank you :)

11. DebZ
    12:55 pm on March 15th, 2010

the parchment paper? SO IMPORTANT. will try it again, following ALL of your instructions :)

12. Cindy
    12:59 pm on March 15th, 2010

It is tricky. Don’t give up. Practice. It’ll happen. If you’re really nervous or too busy to babysit them, just turn the oven way down to 225. But that could strech out the baking time considerably.

13. what beautiful photos of those beets. I am making these! I just got a basketful of beets in my farm share a couple of days ago. Love that they are oil free! Thanks!!

14. [...] Two, two recipes in one post. Because they’re the same thing, just different veggies. [...]

15. [...] the last of them i made a batch of beet chips and i still have two left to roast, which i will probably add to hummus or make another smoothie, [...]

16. Love it! Can’t wait to try!

17. I really really really wish I had a mandoline, these look spectacular!

18. Kay Nelson
    12:26 pm on February 23rd, 2012

These could be dried in a food dehydrator,too. I make kale chips with my dehydrator quite often and actually prefer them to potato chips.

19. Megan
    3:50 am on June 28th, 2013

Could these beet chips be made in dehydrator? As well as sweet potato too, what would I need to do to the sweet potatoes and beets after I slice them with mandolin, toss will olive oil/salt? I’m asking about this as I’m making them/putting in bags to give as favor for a garden themed baby shower, thnks and so appreciate anyone’s input and direction to help me here!!!! :):):)

20. Cindy
    12:57 pm on June 28th, 2013

I didn’t like them when I tried them in the dehydrator.