Fix Me A Snack

A blog created by a mom who got sick of feeding her kids crackers and ice cream

Here’s my lastest super fantastic idea…make a list of 101 different ways to flavor  plain yogurt, the unsung hero of healthy snacking. I’ll be making my way to 101 gradually. Today I’m posting the first three.

To help kick off this series of posts, I’ve created a page all about yogurt in general.

1. Applesauce Yogurt

This is what I actually make my  preschooler for a snack these days when time is limited and I’m not feeling inspired. It also is responsible for weaning us off of flavored yogurt. So while the photo is somewhat sad, Apple Yogurt has to be numero uno.

1/2 – 3/4 cup plain yogurt
1/4 – 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 – 2 teaspoons honey
Dash ground cinnamon

Put the yogurt, applesauce, honey, and cinnamon into a serving bowl. Serve.

2. Cornbread with Buttermilk Yogurt and Honey

I was recently drooling over the Lee Brothers Southeren Cookbook  and stumbled upon a mention of someone’s favorite after-school snack having been cornbread topped with sugar and buttermilk.

I made some cornbread – et voila!

1 cup crumbled cornbread
1/4 cup plain yogurt
2 tablespoons buttermilk
Honey (to taste)

Place cornbread in a serving bowl and set aside. In a small bowl, stir together the yogurt and buttermilk until smooth. Spoon the yogurt mixture over the cornbread. Drizzle honey on top depending on your preference and the sweetness of the cornbread. Serve.

Note: If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, you could just try some regular milk or make a substitute.

3. Peanut Butter and Jelly Yogurt

This idea came directly from the one and only Dina of It’s Not About Nutrition and it is a winner. My preschooler loves it.

1/2 cup plain yogurt
2 tablespoons peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
2 teaspoons strawberry or grape jam

In a small bowl, heat peanut butter in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. (Note: I was heating peanut butter that had been refrigerated. If yours is room temperature, start with only 10 seconds and check to see if has softened.) Mix peanut butter into yogurt. Sprinkle on sugar. Dollop jam on top. Serve.

Thanks Dina!

Related posts:

1. Yogurt 101
  2. Yogurt 101
  3. Yogurt 101: The List

11 Comments

1. Missy
    10:10 am on March 4th, 2010

You are amazing, I have to say. Will definately try the pb and j one out on T. It irritates me to no end how much sugar is added to flavored yogurt. I keep dreaming that they will come out with an organic low sugar version. This may be even better. I look forward to 98 more ideas :)

2. Missy
    10:11 am on March 4th, 2010

Ohh and I might try agave instead of the sugar.

3. devotchka
    3:06 am on March 5th, 2010

I have been feeding my 2-yr-old plain yogurt with applesauce, too; often I mix them with unflavored oatmeal for breakfast, as a way to avoid putting butter/sugar in the oatmeal for flavor. Sometimes I use flavored applesauce I found at my grocery store (strawberry, cinnamon, or blackberry – the ingredients are only those and apples, no added sugar or other stuff). Sometimes I add cinnamon, too; haven’t tried honey yet.

I’ll have to try the cornbread one … he likes cornbread.

4. devotchka
    3:18 am on March 5th, 2010

Also, that yogurt post was very helpful! I’d never heard of Icelandic yogurt but I’d seen Greek yogurt at the store and wondered what the difference was.

5. Cindy
    11:29 am on March 5th, 2010

I’m so glad it was helpful!

6. My kids love yogurt. I might just have to try these recipes!

Have a wonderful weekend!

7. Heidi
    1:01 pm on March 6th, 2010

Hey, I just found your website and immediately went through all your posts and saved the ones that appeal to me(yes I know that’s a little strange, but it means I like your ideas!). Awesome blog! I have a 2 year old and 4 month old, so I’m just starting my life of snack making, hehe. Keep it up, I will be checking back often :D

8. Thanks for the love Heidi!

9. I make a homemade batch of yogurt once a week. All of these are WONDERFUL ideas on how I can use it up. I have some leftover cornbread in the house right now too. Dessert tonight: cornbread and yogurt. Can’t wait! I saw this on tastespotting.

10. [...] list while looking at a link someone posted on the snack thread and thought it was pretty awesome. Yogurt 101 | Fix Me A Snack __________________ Bobbi Jo My favorite people and their Webkinz dressed as Harry Potter [...]

11. [...] by Cindy at Fix Me a Snack.  Cindy developed 101 recipes using plain yogurt.  Things like: Applesauce Yogurt, Chocolate Yogurt, Butterscotch Yogurt.  Things that are pretty [...]