Fix Me A Snack

A blog created by a mom who got sick of feeding her kids crackers and ice cream

My New Year’s resolution is to prepare devestatingly simple healthy snacks whenever possible.

Seriously, snacks featuring toast as a base are relatively unexplored territory for me. And I love it because it has that breakfasty connotation. And we all love breakfast anytime of day. It has been scientifically proven.

My kids wouldn’t eat this. Would yours? I used to feed them avocado often when they were small. But these days I get to keep it all for myself which is nice because I’m attempting the vegan before 6 thing a la Mark Bittman. I’ve surrounded myself with fresh fruit and bags of frozen leafy greens. We’ll see what happens.

Also, I need to mention my new favorite beverage: Lemon Honey Tea. Does everyone else in the world already know about this? You heat up some water and add a dollop of honey and a squeeze of lemon. I feel like maybe I’ve seen my friend Debbie drink hot water with lemon. Regardless, it goes a long way toward curing my family’s winter-time wheezing. I just love it. My kids really enjoy it with apple cider vinegar instead of the lemon.

Smashed Avocado on Toast Recipe

1/2 of a ripe Haas avocado
1 teaspoon lime OR lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
Pinch salt

Remove the pit from the avocado and scoop the pulp out into a small bowl. Add the lime juice, cumin, and salt and smash it all together with a fork. Spread on toast. Serve immediately.

Yield: about 1/3 cup of smashed avocado, enough for one or two pieces of toast
Prep-time: 5 minutes

Print Print

Related posts:

1. Avocado and Tomato Face
  2. Guacamole
  3. Chunky Guacamole

22 Comments

1. El
    8:41 pm on January 9th, 2011

I have an avocado sitting in the fridge right now along with some homemade bread. Needless to say, this looks like a great snack. I do make the tea. I always slice up some ginger and add it to the mix too.

2. ooh ginger. that sounds perfect!

3. Missy
    8:53 pm on January 9th, 2011

Looks delic! I make something I call Mockamole and it reminds me of this. Avacado, lemon, garlic fresh or powder, black pepper, a few drops of red hot and sea salt. Serve it with rice crackers while watching my favorite show. Not quite the real thing but close enough :)

4. How smart and simple, my 9 yr old daughter will love this! It will be a great thing to give her on mornings that I make oatmeal, which my son likes, but she grumbles about. Thanks for the Bittman link as well. I am a vegetarian, but don’t always make the best choices, and I think that strategy will help. :)

5. Sounds delicious Missy! Avocados are the bestest.

6. Kris,
    This is the second or third time I’ve tried to jump on the vegan before 6 wagon. It’s a bit of an adjustment and requires a little thought. But it gives me an excuse to eat avocados for breakfast and bowls of rice bathed in peanut sauce for lunch so I dig it.
    I hope your daughter enjoys the avocado on toast!

7. MMM – I LOVE avocado on toast. Sometimes to jazz it up I add a little hot sauce too.

I’ve been drinking the lemon tea a lot this winter. I try to make it the first thing I eat/drink in the morning – before my coffee – at the suggestion of a yoga teacher who noticed I was a bit congested in the mornings.

8. I think my kids MIGHT give that a try actually. They both like guacamole when we’ve had good guac at a decent Mexican restaurant.

9. I don’t know what’s wrong with my children as far as their not liking avocados. That and their dislike of roasted bananas makes absolutely no sense to me.
    Let me know how it goes Jennifer!

10. What a simple and delicious way to eat avocado Cindy! Definitely one of those “why didn’t I think of that” keepers.

11. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by CT Bites. CT Bites said: A great snack! RT @fixmeasnack: New Post: Smashed Avocado on Toast http://goo.gl/v3U9Z #snack #recipe [...]

12. christina
    5:16 pm on January 12th, 2011

This looks yummy! My older children love avacadoes but my younger ones do not. I wonder if it is a texture issue?

13. My kids have retreated from avocado, but I still love it. I grew up hating it, but living in California grew on me. Looking forward to trying this. Good luck with the vegan-before-6 thing. I don’t ever improve my eating habits unless I set rules for myself.

14. Thanks for dropping by Sarah. I’m honored!

15. This reminds me, I better buy more avocados this week! Simple, healthy and really tasty. Love this recipe, Cindy!

16. Katya
    4:32 pm on January 30th, 2011

Maybe it’s the texture they dislike? Have you tried just small chopped pieces instead of puree? Also, I’d conceal it with cucumber. In fact that’s on my to do list – make some kind of delicious cucumber avocado salad. And yes, honey + lemon + ginger. Drinking it right now in fact.

17. Katya
    4:43 pm on January 30th, 2011

Just followed the Bittman link. It’s interesting, I do exact opposite. Vegan after 6! In Russia (where I’m originally from) there is a saying: Eat breakfast yourself, share lunch with a friend, give your dinner to your enemy. So in line with that, I splurge at breakfast, have moderate lunch and eat only raw (most of the time) for dinner.

18. You’re probably right about the texture. We’ll figure it out someday. That salad you’re fixing to make sounds delicious!

19. Yes! I can’t get enough ideas for serving avocados. I honestly could eat avocados every day of the week and curse the calendar for not giving me more days.

20. Cindy! This is my favorite snack, for realz! And just this morning I was thinking “I should blog this” Because it is that good! I just slice it on buttered wheat with a dash of kosher salt and pepper. My little girl loves it too, but my son won’t touch it :)

21. Yes. Avocados make life worth living during the winter, don’t they?

22. Coogan
    12:00 am on March 4th, 2013

I love both these ideas. Our grocery store sells avocados in a 4-pack and one invariably gets too soft and smushy for salad, so toast is the perfect solution. Also, I’ve been reading how the fat from avocados is supposedly good for 30-something year old skin (at the very least, it has to be better than butter), so I could make this my go-to breakfast. The hot honey-lemon water is great because I think I’ve become too dependent on coffee, when really all I need is a hot drink to nurse while I get up to speed in the morning. Don’t stop blogging, we need you!