Fix Me A Snack

A blog created by a mom who got sick of feeding her kids crackers and ice cream

In my dream world, I’m busying planning a fabulous party to celebrate the coming of Spring. Actually, I’d be happy if I just bought some flowers, had the girls make a few crafts, and made a nice lunch. But more than likely, none of it will happen.

The girls spent a great deal of time last weekend celebrating in their own way by making trouble in streams of ice cold water and soaking their clothes with mud. Something was in the air that no party could ever touch. There was bare ground to run on. Coats were cast off and immediately forgotten. Canada geese honked. Life was good.

Then of course it snowed a bit this morning. But it didn’t stick! Being a New Englander teaches you so much about keeping hope alive.

Here’s a snack to celebrate the coming of Spring. A quail egg. It’s not too big or boastful, but it doesn’t have to be because it’s so darn cute. I picked these up at an Asian grocery on a busy Saturday morning for only a few dollars. To me, they taste the same as chicken eggs. With a few grains of coarse salt, they are a perfect healthy and tasty snack.

I also have some green snacks in the archives that might interest you like Smashed Avocado Toast, Mint Yogurt, Avocado and Tomato FaceRoasted Tomatillo Salsa and good ol’ Guacamole. Also, don’t forget my new favorite Joy the Baker’s Kale, Spinach and Pear Smoothie.

How to Hard-boil Quail Eggs

Fill a saucepan with enough water to cover the eggs and an inch more. Place the saucepan on a burner over high heat. Carefully place the eggs in the water. Don’t crowd them.

Cover the pan and bring the water to a boil. As soon as the water comes to a boil, turn off the heat. Leave the pan covered on the burner for five minutes.

Immerse the eggs in cold water, or better yet an ice bath, to stop the cooking process. When they are cool, crack the shell by tapping it on a hard surface and peel. The membrane between the shell and the white is a bit thicker than chicken eggs, but not too much so. Serve with salt to taste. Store leftover peeled eggs in cold water in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.

Prep-time: 5 minutes
Cook-time: 5 minutes

Print Print

Related posts:

1. Frog Eggs
  2. Banana Julius

11 Comments

1. These have to be the prettiest thing ever. I bought some quail eggs at the farmers market last summer and had no idea what to do with them. These look perfect. Thank you so much for sharing.

2. Kamal
    3:04 am on March 23rd, 2012

Thanks so much for this. i just made some with your advice and they’re great!

3. Thanks for the info… My friend just gave me some quail eggs, and they are delicious :)

4. Thanks A friend gave me the eggs and she’s coming to dinner to see what I did with them! Will serve them as canapes

5. Janis Ware
    11:02 am on June 26th, 2012

Bought these to cook for a Midsummers Fantasy Party. I was trying to think of teeny tiny food stuffs for grown up elves n pixies. These will look great! I intend to display them in a clean birds nest.
    Now to find some Shakespear quotes and trailing ivy to make hair garlands, wish me luck!

6. Cara Mcbride
    5:28 pm on February 4th, 2013

I use quail to feed my hawk, but i was just curious on how they tasted, so i looked it up here. They’re really not that bad :)

7. I have 6 pet quail and they lay tons of eggs… Quail eggs, i find, are much better tasting than chicken eggs- they have a really creamy texture, and not as “eggy” a flavor as their chicken counterparts.

Thanks for this great recipe! This is delicious.

8. Cheryl
    7:16 pm on March 3rd, 2013

Just cooked my first quail eggs ever, they are delicious. I want to ask Elizabeth how she raises her quail and does she make a nest for them to lay their eggs in. Need more info. would like to have Quail eggs to eat all of the time. They are better for us than chicken eggs.

9. […] The bite-sized eggs are a perfect lunchbox snack, too. Cindy Rowland at Fix Me A Snack has simple instructions for hard boiling quail eggs. They cook in about 5 minutes, and while they are a little finicky to peel, you’ll catch the […]

10. Ernest Jayo
    2:02 pm on June 21st, 2013

I have never tasted quail eggs. I want to rear them & probably have a chance to eat there eggs & meat. Thank you for the tip.

11. Rachel
    12:59 am on July 21st, 2013

I’m hoping you’re still watching this post after two+ years. I’ve recently started raising quail and have been looking to vary my egg repertoire. You said in these instructions to turn off the heat and leave on the burner for five minutes.

Out of curiosity, do you use an electric or a gas stove?

I’m on a gas stove and find that these tend to cool much more quickly than their electric counterparts.