We took the plunge and planted our first real in-the-ground garden this spring. Excuse me as I gush over how cool it has been to plant seeds, tend to their needs, and harvest their fruit. I don’t think any of us expected things to go as well as they have. It’s entirely possible that a gang of raccoons is circling at this very moment and plotting an invasion, but for the moment we are blissfully enjoying our gardening honeymoon.
The other day my 8-year-old had a moment. She looked over at me while eating veggies and dip and said, “It just hit me Mom. We are actually feeding ourselves.”
When it comes to cucumbers, indeed we are…
We are growing pickling cukes and slicing cukes. I’m already hatching plans for a few more varieties next year. Are Perisan cukes better than American slicing cukes? What about English? We’ll have to grow them all now and find out.
Anyway, back to the problem at hand…
I’ve already made a couple batches of dill pickles but the plants are showing no signs of waning. Rather, I’m a wee bit afraid of what they have in store for me. Come to my house this winter if you like pickles.
Pickling cukes are easy. I know what to do with those (even if it can be a lot of work). But slicing cukes have been demanding more and more attention lately so I decided to make a list of all the ways I’d like my family to eat them up:
2. And Tzatziki too!
3. Dill Cucumber Corn Salad is delightful.
4. I made a pretty killer cucumber soup (recipe from the WSJ, scroll down) the other night.
6. If buttermilk dressing is more your thing, check out this Cucumber Ribbon Salad from The Perfect Pantry.
7. If you’re having a party, try some Cucumber Bites with Garlic Herb Filling.
8. Looking for a perfect starter for a meal? Look no further: Cucumber Salad Recipes from Eating Out Loud.
9. Just when you thought things couldn’t get any better, this recipe uses up zucchini as well as cucumber and looks scrumptious: Cucumber and Zucchini Carpaccio Salad from White on Rice.
10. When all else fails, peel a fresh cuke and cut it into wedges. Sprinkle on some fine salt and eat it immediately. Yum.
Any other suggestions are more than welcome. I’m gonna need all the help I can get. Thanks.